Friday 30 November 2012

Letter to the author



Hi,

first off I would like to thank you, your magnificent book ”Nineteen Eighty-Four” has been one of many influences that made me take a close look into politics. And I think I've come to a place ideologically where I will stay, with a clear conscious, but with a bit pessimistic outlook for the future. That philosophy is voluntarism.


Your book, Nineteen Eighty-Four, is something I've enjoyed quite a lot. Some might see it as a bit of a silly book, but to me it feels the more you know about how the human mind adapts to the environment and how childhood shapes us, the more it has an impact. Concepts like doublethink and new-speak are amazing, such things can be seen often in the world, and I don't think many humans are really above them, consciously or unconsciously.

The plot wasn't the main drive of this book to me. To me it was the explanations and reflections of Winston about the world he was living in. His initial struggle to write in the diary what truly was on his mind, his sudden epiphanies of things, his reading of the book of Goldstein, the dialogues he had and his true thoughts about the matters. All of these things, and more, were amazing to me. It's a bit of a shame the ending is as tragic as it is.


I have this image of you, from only reading Nineteen Eighty-Four, and it is probably a whole lot different from what you really were like. But this one quote in the book:

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows”

It makes me think that my image of you has some truth in it. And I wonder what you would think about the world if you saw it today.


-From the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment